Opti-B, a health elixir brimming with rich nutrients to boost your immunity and energy!
Good to Know:
Kelulut honey, with its strong antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties, is acknowledged by MARDI as 'Superfood'.
Astaxanthin is a powerful dietary antioxidant that naturally boosts and balances the body's immune system.
Direction for Use:
Shake well before open. Consume 10g (7.5mL) of Opti-B directly, or mix with a glass (150mL) of water. Enjoy anytime during the day.
Keep in a dry and cool place. Protect from light.
Kelulut (Stingless Bee) Honey and Astaxanthin Extract.
What is Opti-B?
Opti-B is a unique formulation that synergistically combines Kelulut honey with astaxanthin to promote strong immune system in a natural way.
The immune system is made up of a network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to provide protection to the body. Immune cells have a high percentage of polyunsaturated fatty acids and generally produce more oxidative products, making them particularly sensitive to oxidative stress 1.
Overproduction of these reactive oxygen and nitrogen species alter the oxidant: antioxidant balance, resulting in destruction of cell membranes, proteins and DNA. Thus, powerful dietary antioxidant such as astaxanthin becomes vital in maintaining such balance, especially under conditions of increased oxidative stress.
A combination of astaxanthin and Kelulut honey, both with potent antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, renders Opti-B a worthy-to-have immune-boosting product.
Kelulut (Heterotrigona Itama) honey: The Next Superfood
Kelulut honey is produced by stingless bees, which can be classified into the Melipona and the Trigona sub-genera.
Unlike European bee (Apis mellifera) honeys, Kelulut honey is slightly runnier, and has a distinctive sweetness mixed with a fruity-scented sour taste. The storage of Kelulut honey in cerumen pots built with beeswax and propolis resulted in the natural infiltration of propolis’ phytochemicals into the honey, providing a consistent antimicrobial potency 2. Due to this uniqueness and its potential therapeutic values, Kelulut honey is acknowledged by the Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI) as ‘Superfood’.
The pictures show the Kelulut bees, and their unique cerumen pots made up of beeswax and propolis.
Opti-B, a health elixir brimming with rich nutrients to boost your immunity and energy!
|Moisture content (%)||Not more than 35.0||22.7||Not more than 22.0|
|Ash (%)||Not more than 1.0||0.2||Not more than 1.0|
|Total sugar (g/100g)|
|Not more than 85.0||68.0||Not more than 90.0|
|Sucrose (g/100g)||Not more than 7.5||<0.1||Not more than 8.0|
|Maltose (g/100g)||Not more than 9.5||<0.1||Not more than 10.0|
Table 1 shows the comparison of physicochemical properties between standard Kelulut honey, Kelulut honey in Opti-B and synthetic honey. (Requirements on standard Kelulut honey and synthetic honey are in compliance with Malaysian Standard 2683:2017), Al-Hatamleh et al. 2020
In general, Kelulut honey has higher water content and higher acidity as compared to other types of honey. The presence of various vitamins, enzymes, minerals and plant phenolics in Kelulut honey contribute to its antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
In contrast, due to the adulteration in synthetic honey with high fructose corn syrup, synthetic honey contains higher levels of total sugar, thus it is much sweeter in taste. The lack of nutritional values and absence of plant phenolics in synthetic honey do not confer any therapeutic values as compared to raw honey.
Impressive Goodness of Opti-B
Your Natural Immune System Booster
Astaxanthin in Opti-B naturally boosts and balances the body’s immune system. It enhances the capacity of immune cells (lymphocytes and phagocytes) as well as antibody production in defending against infectious bacteria and viruses that invade the body. This encourages a faster immune response, and thus a faster post-infectious recovery. At the same time, it alleviates overactive immune response that create unnecessary inflammation3, 4.
The presence of glucose oxidase enzyme, phytochemical components and organic acids in Kelulut honey also contribute to its potent antimicrobial effect5. This is something promising as it lessens the dependence on inappropriate antibiotics use, which prevents further rise of antimicrobial resistance (AMR). To date, AMR has resulted in 700,000 deaths annually and estimated to reach 10 million by 20506.
Most people consume antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) but found it ineffective, as 90% of URTI are caused by viruses, not bacteria. It is better to try on natural compounds such as astaxanthin and Kelulut honey before resorting to drugs. Research shown that bacteria do not develop resistance to such alternatives. When the body’s defence system is strengthened, it helps to improve productivity in life and at work.
A Potential Cough and Cold Remedy
According to World Health Organization (WHO), raw honey acts as a demulcent, which helps relieve irritation in the throat by forming a protective film7. Raw Kelulut honey in Opti-B, likewise works as well as dextromethorphan (an ingredient in cough medicines), and to a greater extent than diphenhydramine in relieving cough caused by URTI8. The broad anti-inflammatory action of astaxanthin, couples with anti-bacterial, anti-viral and high osmolality properties of Kelulut honey, stimulates the salivation reflex and secretion of airway mucus, which improves mucus clearance in the pharynx and reduce cough.
Antibiotics works on bacteria not virus
Opti-B is also suitable for persistent post-infectious cough as compared to antibiotics or oral steroids9. Antibiotics only act on bacteria, and they are not specific to reduce the viral load causing the persistent cough. Frequent use of antibiotics can cause more harm than good to our health, in which the establishment of normal microflora is distorted by the antibiotics.
On a hot sunny day, drinking Opti-B can be refreshing as it reduces the body heat.
Effective Agent in Wound Care
Surgeons from ancient Egypt era used honey for open wounds, to prevent infection and to increase rate of healing. The main active mechanisms of Opti-B that are involved in wound healing are its antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
i. Antioxidant property
The strong antioxidant profile of astaxanthin that is 6000 times more potent than vitamin C10, couples with the two major free phenolic acids in Kelulut bee, protocatechuic acid (PCA) and 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid11, improve cell proliferation in wound healing process. They scavenge the reactive oxygen and nitrogen species, which protect the cellular DNA, preventing generation of oxidative stress and breakdown of collagen from further worsening the condition of wounded tissue.
ii. Antimicrobial property
When a wound is infected by microbes, it could hinder the healing process and eventually cause abscess formation.
Astaxanthin, as an antimicrobial agent, reduces bacteria growth and biofilm formation12. The potent antimicrobial property of Kelulut honey is attributed to the unique propolis-infused content. The anatomical structure of the Kelulut bee itself is also connected with the cuticular antimicrobial secretion in preventing microbial growth, in which the action is more significant as compared to European honey13.
iii. Anti-inflammatory property
A prolonged inflammatory response will occur along with tissue damage and delayed healing if the injured wound is left untreated.
Both the astaxanthin and cerumen extracts (phenolic compounds) in Kelulut honey is able to reduce the overproduction of pro-inflammatory mediators, which further reduce inflammation around the wound areas. Kelulut honey also reduces water retention, which lowers the hydrostatic pressure on wound tissue, allowing the access to nutrients and oxygen that are vital for tissue growth in wound healing14.
Natural Skin Moisturizer
Astaxanthin has been shown to improve skin moisture and retain elasticity15. Moisture content in Kelulut honey is relatively higher than that of European honey due to the presence of hydroxyl groups. Glycerine, propylene glycol, sorbitol, and vitamins such as vitamins B, E, and K, together with essential minerals like calcium, potassium, and phosphorus, contribute to the hydrating properties of Kelulut honey. This hydrating effect makes Opti-B suitable to be applied as cosmeceutical and skin care products, to enhance skin moisture and prevent dullness 16.
Easy-to-go Gastrointestinal Support
Both astaxanthin and Kelulut honey are reported to have positive effects in preventing and treating gastrointestinal inflammation such as peptic ulcers, gastritis, and gastroenteritis. With the high antibacterial property, they help to inhibit the culprit of gastroduodenal ulcers, Helicobacter pylori17, 18.
Apart from that, Kelulut honey has the prebiotic effects, which helps increase the population of gut microflora Bifidobacteria for the better enhancement of gastrointestinal health and nutrient absorption19. Consumption of Opti-B can also be useful in the recovery of hydration post-gastroenteritis.
Unique Feature of Opti-B
Your Natural Immune System Booster
Breakthrough technology is used in combining these two superfoods with different solubility into Opti-B, ensuring effective delivery for better cellular absorption, providing myriads goodness to the immune system from the inside out.
Astaxanthin is a superior immune modulator as it strengthens and balances the immune system concurrently. A study by Park et al. shown that 8 weeks of daily astaxanthin supplementation (2mg) significantly reduced expression of the pro-inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP). At the same time, lymphocyte count was significantly increased for the astaxanthin group4.
In comparison to the beeswax-coated European bee honeycomb, the unique Kelulut bee pots made with beeswax and propolis renders consistent and potent antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties to the Kelulut honey.
Shake well before open. Consume 10g (7.5mL) directly, or mix with a glass (150mL) of water. Enjoy anytime during the day.
Certified by the Ministry of Health, Malaysia
GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)
MeSTI (Makanan Selamat Tanggungjawab Industri)
Our Kelulut honey is locally harvested from a Kelulut bee farm in Batu Pahat, Johor, with MESTI accreditation. Stringent measures are applied throughout the cultivation, harvesting, and packaging processes. Our Kelulut honey has also passed the required laboratory tests for purity.
The following normal tests can be used to differentiate whether a honey is raw:
i. Water test
Fill a glass with water. Add one tablespoon of honey into the glass. Adulterated or synthetic honey will dissolve in water and it can be seen staying around the glass. However, raw honey will settle right at the bottom of the glass.
ii. Bread test
Spread the honey on a slice of bread. If the slice hardens in minutes, it is raw honey. Adulterated honey will wet the bread because of its water content.
| Properties||Kelulut honey||Manuka honey |
|Structure of bee hive||Cerumen pots made from beeswax and propolis||Hexagonal-shaped comb made from beeswax|
|Nectar source||Multifloral||Monofloral or multifloral|
|Colour||Light dark brown||Amber brown|
|Taste||Unique sweet-sour taste||Natural sweet taste|
|Texture||Slightly runnier due to higher moisture content||Less runnier as compared to Kelulut honey|
|Phenolic content||Higher – rendering its antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory properties 20||Lower as compared to Kelulut honey|
- People with weaker immune system, who are easily susceptible to infections
- Businessmen or travellers who need a pre-trip health booster
- People who are in the midst of post-operation recovery
- Children or adults suffering from post-infectious cough
- People who regularly experience stomach flatulence or indigestion
Most stingless bee honeys contained lower levels of reducing sugars (glucose and fructose) as compared to European bee honeys. Unlike sweeteners, Kelulut honey produces a lower glycemix effect, which would not cause a sudden sugar spike after consumption. The astaxanthin in Opti-B also plays a role in blood sugar metabolism. However, moderation is key, in which it is recommended not to exceed 25g of fructose intake daily.
Yes, Opti-B can be safely eaten among children, preferably aged 3 and above. On a normal occasion, when raw honey is consumed in excess, this would increase a person’s fructose levels or prompt an illness called botulism, particularly among infants.
We recommend Opti-B to be consumed as immune booster. Once the immune system is stimulated and stabilized, consumption of Opti-B can be minimized.
The lower acidic pH in Kelulut honey might react with the metallic surface on spoon, which damage the therapeutic nutrients and contents in Opti-B. Instead, it is suggested to use a wooden or ceramic spoon to scoop any products containing honey.
- Chew BP, Park JS: Carotenoids Against Disease: Part C: The Immune System and Disease. Carotenoids: Nutrition and Health Birkhauser PressBritton G, Liaanen-Jensen S, Pfander H 2009, 5:363-82.
- Massaro FC, Brooks PR, Wallace HM, Russell FD: Cerumen of Australian stingless bees (Tetragonula carbonaria): gas chromatography-mass spectrometry fingerprints and potential anti-inflammatory properties. Naturwissenschaften 2011; 98: 329–337.
- Baralic I, Andjelkovic M, Djordjevic B, et al. A0509. Effect of Astaxanthin Supplementation on Salivary IgA, Oxidative Stress, and Inflammation in Young Soccer Players. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015;2015:1-9.
- Park JS et al. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutri Metab 2010, 7:18.
- Molan PC (2001). Why honey is effective as a medicine 2. The scientific explanation of its effects. Bee World., 82: 22-40.
- New Straight Times, “When Antibiotics Don’t Work Anymore.” January 15, 2019.
- Health.com, “4 Things You Didn’t Know About Honey.” October 4, 2014.
- Oduwole O, Udoh EE, Oyo-Ita A, Meremikwu MM. Honey for Acute Cough in Children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2018, Issue 4.
- Raeessi MA et al., Honey plus coffee versus systemic steroid in the treatment of persistent post-infectious cough: a randomised controlled trial. Prim Care Respir J. 2013 Sep;22(3):325-30.
- Rao AR et al. Characterization of microalgal carotenoids by mass spectrometry and their bioavailability and antioxidant properties elucidated in rat model. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Aug 11;58(15):8553-9.
- Mohd N et al. Conservation and sustainable utilization of stingless bees for pollination services in agricultural ecosystems in Malaysia. Int Semin Enhanc Funct Biodivers Relev to Sustain Food Prod ASPAC, 2010, pp 1–11.
- Weintraub S et al. Astaxanthin-based polymers as new antimicrobial compound. Journal of Polymer Chemistry. 2017, Issue 29.
- Irish J, Carter DA, Blair SE, Heard TA: Antibacterial activity of honey from the Australian stingless bee Trigona carbonaria. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2008; 32: 89–90.
- Molan PC: The evidence and the rationale for the use of honey as a wound dressing. Wound Pract Res 2011; 19: 204–220.
- Davinelli S, Nieson ME, Scapagnini G. Astaxanthin in Skin Health, Repair, and Disease: A Comprehensive Review. Nutrients 2018, 10, 52.
- Bikowski J: The use of therapeutic moisturizers in various dermatologic disorders. Cutis Cutan Med Pract 2001; 68: 3–11.
- Yamashita E. Astaxanthin as a Medical Food. Functional Food in Health and Disease. 2013; 3(7):254-258.
- Osato MS, Reddy SG, Graham DY (1999) Osmotic effect of honey on growth and viability of Helicobacter pylori. Dig Dis Sci 44: 462-464.
- “The Effects of Honey on the Growth of Bifidobacteria”. The National Honey Board (2008).
- Kek IP et al. Total Phenolic Contents and Colour Intensity of Malaysian Honeys from the Apis spp. and Trigona spp. Bees. Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia 2 (2014) 150 – 155.